Podcast Ep. 344: What Does It Mean To Eat A Nutritious Diet?
Workout Of The Week
This week's workout was one I felt for days. If you want a total body strength challenge, do this one.
Part 1: 21-15-9
- DB G2OH
- Barbell Hip Thrusters
Part 2: 22-16-10
- DB Squat Thrusters
- Side Lunges
Part 3: 23-17-11
- DB Alt Clean & Press
- Chest Press
How Do You Eat A Nutritious Diet?
With all diet fads and supplements floating around it's easy to over complicate what a balanced diet is.
The specific foods we eat differ from person to person, but the general idea of what a "nutritious" diet looks like is the same.
- Mostly real foods void of processed ingredients and/or added sugar. Labels now have to add how much sugar is added outside of what's naturally found in the item. Look for items that have easy to identify ingredients. No weird chemicals.
- A lot of variety. Aim to eat different color vegetables, types of protein (even cuts), different grains, etc. The more variety you have, the better your body will thrive!
- Have a healthy mindset that it's okay to eat treats or "unhealthy" food sometimes. Eating guilt free is important for balance and mindset. There are no foods off limits, only sometimes and always foods.
- Take your time at the grocery store. If you see new items, try them out! Don't be afraid to experiment.
How To Avoid Night Time Binges When Hungry?
There are a few things going on here.
If you're hungry (which the person who asked this said her stomach was growling at night)...
Don't deprive yourself just because it's after 9:00pm. If you're hungry, your body needs more than what you've given it.
To avoid the hunger pains...
- Eat more throughout the day. Maybe have a bigger lunch, larger dinner or an extra snack.
- Eat meals that include healthy fats and a good serving of protein to help keep you feeling full longer.
- Plan for the night by having healthy snack options available. If you know you'll want a little snack or treat before bed, have them ready and planned out to avoid binge habits.
- Ask why. If you know you've eaten enough, ask why you want more. Are you stressed? Tired? Hormonal? Bored? Then think of other ways to handle those emotions.
5 Elements Needed For A Balanced Total Body Workout
For a total body workout, here are the 5 parts I always include!
- Pulls. The idea of bringing a weight towards your body. Some workouts will have vertical pulls (pull-ups and high pulls) others will have horizontal pulls (bent over rows) and some will have both.
- Pushes. Moving a weight away from the body in both the horizontal (chest presses) and vertical (overhead presses) planes. Just like the pulls, both will be incorporated at some point in the week.
- Knee flexion moves. Think exercises like squats, lunges, step-ups, etc.
- Hip extension driven moves. Where a hip hinge initiates the exercise. These focus more on the posterior (hamstrings and glutes) and include exercises like kettlebell swings, deadlifts, hip extensions, etc.
- Accessory exercises. These bonus moves are at the end of a workout so you're not fatigued for the large moves above. They might work smaller muscle groups you want to focus on, work on imbalances, or help create balance/stability. Core exercises, single leg moves, bicep curls, and calf raises are all examples.
What's My Favorite Season?
Fall! But listen in to find out why!
Do You Want To Workout With Me?
I have a program called Fit Women's Weekly LIVE. It's my personal training studio in your living room .
We host 16 LIVE classes every week... but we also record every workout.
You get to build the workout schedule that fits your life.
If you want to KNOW you're doing the right style of workout...
And have a coach to help you when you have questions...
Sign up for a 14 day FREE class pass and some see what FWW LIVE is all about... then make your mind up on whether you want to join.
Try FWW LIVE For FREEJoin a 14 DayReset Challenge
14 days of strength training and mobility workouts.
Workout LIVE or workout with a video replay.
Choose from daily 60 minute and 30 minute workouts.
Every day has a goal for you to hit... just follow the plan.
Get Started - What Is YourFitness Level?
I'll match you up with the Reset training plan that's perfect for you.