What Does A Healthy Plate Look Like?
Eating healthy doesn't have to be complicated.
But it definitely seems that way, doesn't it?
Special diets, food trackers, macros, etc...
Have you every asked yourself the question...
To eat healthy, does there have to be strict rules and regulations?
I think the answer is a big NO!
You don't have to follow a diet plan or have a label on the way you eat.
You can create healthier food habits without all the tracking and stressing.
There's one simple rule we follow to make sure we're eating healthy in our home:
- Food must be real.
That's right, no processed foods.
Make sure of that with a fast glance at the ingredient labels.
- Are the ingredients foods I can identify?
- Do boxed/packaged foods lack of dyes, weird chemicals, artificial sugars, hydrogenated/trans fats and added sugar?
If yes... great!
But let's go beyond this and talk about putting meals together.
Get My Week 1 Meal Plan FREE
Get week 1 of Plan Smart Eat Real FREE. Ditch the extremes... and learn how to finally eat real food!
How do you make a healthy plate?
- By making sure the ingredients are real (see above).
- Follow this super simple plating trick for balanced nutrition.
I don't believe in eating off an appetizer plate.
Adults should enjoy a real plate with real portions.
If you ever read, heard or even tried eating off a small appetizer plate, I'm sorry.
That was terrible advice in the 2000s... yet another restrictive method that ends up driving you crazy.
If you're new to trying to clean up your diet, follow this plating technique to build an idea of healthy portion sizes:
- 1/4 of the plate: Protein source: chicken, steak, pork, tofu, tempeh, etc.
- 1/4 of the plate: Complex carb source: potatoes, rice, all natural pasta, quinoa, etc.
- 1/2 of the plate: Any and all the veggies you want: eggplant, zucchini, kale, green beans, brussel's sprouts, asparagus, etc.
Your plate is full. You're full.
But most importantly, you're fueling your body properly to feel it's best and create healthier habits.
Tracking macros, calories, or experimenting with your diet has its place.
But when just getting starting, start simple!
If healthy eating, recipe ideas, and/or meal prep is something you struggle with, check out my Plan Smart Eat Real 2.0 Cookbook.
It's loaded with over 100 recipes broken down into 8 weekly meal plans to make it easy!
April 2022 will be the next PSER coaching group! Keep your eyes open to get on the waiting list so you don't miss out.
Sign UP FREEFIT FINISHERNEWSLETTER
5 minute workout Mondays... workout and sweat with me!
Podcast Wednesdays... learn the secrets of a real fitness lifestyle
Fit News Friday... my hottest training, cooking, and fit life tips