Easy To Make High Protein French Onion Soup Recipe
Here's a secret...
I'm not a huge soup fan.
I love soup, but to me it feels like a part of a meal/appetizer versus being an entire meal.
But my husband loves soups and so do many of my clients.
In an effort to compromise, I'm creating soups that are hearty enough to be a full meal.
More specifically, I'm making soups that allow me to hit my protein without having a chicken breast as a side.
And that's exactly why you need to make this French Onion Soup.
It's loaded with onions, simmered in nutritionally dense bone broth, and packed with protein thanks to the bone broth and bites of steak.
A Big Idea
What's so special about bone broth?
Bone broth is the next level of broth.
It simmers longer to allow collagen in the bones to break down into the soup.
Collagen has been linked to
- Gut health
- Joint health
- Skin/nail/hair health
- Immune health and more.
If given the chance choose between broth (chicken or beef) or bone broth of the two, definitely go with the ladder!
Back to the recipe...
High Protein French Onion Soup
- 1 Roast Chop With Bone
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Sliced Onions
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tsp Sage
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- 1/4 Cup Cashew Cream (or milk)
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire
- 4 Cups Bone Broth
- 1-2 Cups Water
- 2 Tsp Dijon Mustard (not in video but recommended)
This can be made in an Instant Pot, Crockpot, or stovetop. These directions are for the Instant Pot but feel free to cook however you'd like.
- Sauté the roast chops for 2-3 min/side. Remove from the pot.
- Add oil, onions, and garlic. Sauté until soft and fragrant (around 5 minutes).
- Add all other ingredients, stir and cook on soup setting for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove the steak and cut into cubes. Stir back into soup.
Enjoy by itself, with a piece of crunchy fresh bread, a salad, or whatever makes your soup eating experience better.
- What's your favorite soup?
Try this recipe out and share on Instagram. Make sure to tag me @TrainerKindal.
I can't wait to hear what you think!
If you love this soup, try my 10 Min Gluten Free Mushroom Burgers !
One of the biggest events of the year is coming on July 10th.
The 8 Week Summer Shred Challange.
And to get the word out... I'm hosting a FREE workout this Saturday the 27th.
- A 30 minute bodyweight interval workout
- No equipment needed
- I'll count every rep out loud
- I'll constantly motivate you
Register for the workout and get my Summer Shred Recipe guide FREE.